English III Syllabus
Instructor: Ms. Bowman E-mail: [email protected]
- Writing Utensil (Pen with blue/black ink or a pencil)
- Red Pen
- 3 Ring Binder with Dividers (7)
Expectations and Rules
- Be here. Half the battle is just being here.This class isn’t too bad if you show up and are actually present (participate). You need to be in your assigned seat when the bell rings or you will be counted tardy. After receiving three tardies, it becomes an absence. Being here is more than just slumping in your chair day dreaming. It is much more fun when everyone tries to be involved.
- Be responsible. Bring everything you’ll need, such as paper, a pen, and work that’s due. All assignments and projects are collected at the beginning of class on the due date. You are responsible for getting any missed notes or assignments that were given during an absence. Know what you have to do to get to your goals, and actually DO IT!
- Be respectful. You are expected to be courteous and respectful to all students, teachers, and guests. There will be no swearing, name-calling, or snide comments. Also, use of technology at inappropriate times is rude and, per school policy, devices that are ill-used will be taken from you and returned. Remember, you control your technology; it shouldn’t control you.
- Be the best you can be. English may not be your favorite, you may even dislike it L However, we are stuck with each other for a semester. Let’s make the best of it. I’ll be my best and I expect the same in return.
- Passing the End of Course (EOC) Exam
- Improve ACT Score
- Improve writing skills
- Improved ability to think about literature critically
- Increased vocabulary and improved grammar skills
- To learn to think for yourself and stay informed
In order to be successful in this course, students must show up on time, participate in assignment and activities, respect others’ opinions and thoughts, and follow instructions.
Cell Phone Policy
Cell phones will be required to be placed in the cell phone cubby before the bell rings. During certain assignments, I may give you permission to retrieve them. This will be the only time they will be allowed. If I catch a student using one at any time while they are not supposed to, it will be taken and turned into the office, and your phone will no longer be allowed in my room for the remainder of the semester.
Food and Drink Policy
Food and drink are allowed during class as long as they do not become a problem or distraction. This privilege may be revoked at any time, for individuals or full classes who abuse it.
- In general, if you are behaving in a manner inappropriate for the classroom, I will first give you a warning. If the inappropriate behavior continues, I will assign a mandatory afterschool. If the behavior is still not fixed, I will go to higher authority.
- You have three bathroom passes to use this semester during my class. I would suggest you save these for emergencies. This will serve as your ticket to the restroom or to retrieve forgotten materials for class. You must sign out when leaving the room. Bathroom passes will also be given as a reward, and any unused bathroom passes will be able to be turned in at the end of the nine weeks for 10 points per pass that went unused. These points will be able to be added onto any daily work assignment (no tests or major assignments). If you lose these, they will not be replaced.
- If you talk after the first test or quiz is handed out, you will get a 0.
- Attendance Policy has changed.
- If we are watching any kind of video and you are not paying attention, you will receive a 0.
Make-Up Work Policy
If a student misses class, it is his or her responsibility to check with me for any missed assignments. The student will be given the number of days they missed to make up the work. If the student misses a test, he or she will have one day to make it up.
Late Work Policy
Late work will be accepted at 10% off each day it is not turned in. This will be the starting number I will be grading the assignment. For example, if you turn in the work two days late, I will start the grading at 80%.
Last But Not Least
- If you are caught cheating or plagiarizing any assignment, you will receive a zero.
- Please format all papers like I have shown you.
- I will direct you how to turn in assignments.
- If you are working on an assignment for another class during my class, I will take the work from you and it will not be returned. If you finish your work early I will be more than happy to give you more work for my class.
- If you are failing my class, you must stay in my room during rebel time on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. Staying after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays will also be an option if you are failing.
- ALWAYS WRITE IN COMPLETE SENTENCES, CAPATILIZE, AND USE A PUNCTUATION MARK. This will be counted on every assignment you do. I will take off major points for this laziness.