Mission Statement: To empower students to be lifelong learners.
Vision Statement: To facilitate a learning community where students become productive citizens who are college and/or career ready.
· A positive learning environment is conducive to the development of the total student.
· Students learn best when actively engaged in rigorous, relevant curriculum supplemented with extracurricular activities.
· The faculty will provide students with opportunities to become highly productive, well respected citizens with a desire for serving others.
· Instruction will be differentiated to accommodate various learning styles and will emphasize the use of data and technology to support student learning.
· Authentic assessment tools (formative and summative) will be implemented to demonstrate student learning.
· All teachers will actively prepare students for the state End of Course tests, the ACT and the Writing Exam. Teachers will compare results to TVAAS data to monitor achievements.
· Student learning is the primary focus of all decisions impacting the school.
· The stakeholders share the responsibility for advancing the mission and encouraging student growth.
· Each student is a valued individual with unique, physical, social, emotional and intellectual needs.
Safe, comfortable, and clean educational settings promote learning and a sense of security.
· Regular attendance and being punctual is essential for student success.
· Students should respect authority and obey school rules and the law.
SGHS is COMMITTED to increasing the ACT scores for all students.
Recognize the importance of ACT testing
Take advantage of tutoring activities
Participate in reading activities
Participate in more rigorous classes
Take the following tests:
All grades: Practice Writing Test
9th : Practice ACT Test
10th: PLAN Test
11th: Writing Assessment & ACT Test
12th: ACT Test (by choice)
Implement ACT bell ringers in all classes
Timed reading practice with questions
Volunteer time outside school hours by the Math Department for tutoring
Accumulate and utilize reading materials for the classrooms
Emphasize reading, writing, and problem solving across the curriculum
Provide resources to implement reading program
Newspapers in classroom
Expand ACT Prep Classes
Adopt a reading incentive program
Provide flexible scheduling before/after school for tutoring
Administer school wide practice writing test, plan test
Distance Learning Classes
SGHS IS DEDICATED TO A RELEVANT LEARNING COMMUNITY CENTERED ON EXCELLENCE IN LITERACY WHERE:
READ FOR A VARIETY OF REASONS: PLEASURE, INFORMATION, COMPREHENSION
READ AND WRITE IN ALL CLASSES
DISCUSS AND ANALYZE VARIOUS LITERARY MEDIA THROUGH WRITTEN AND VERBAL COMMUNICATIONS
READ ALOUD/ PAIRED READING/CHORAL READING
USE TECHNOLOGY TO INCREASE LITERACY
MODEL GOOD READING PRACTICES
MAKE READING RELEVANT TO CONTENT COLLABORATE
UTILIZE AVAILABLE TECHNOLOGY
USE ASSESSMENT DATA TO DIFFERENTIATE INSTRUCTION
READ TO STUDENTS/LISTEN TO STUDENTS READ
MAINTAIN HIGH EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL STUDENTS
ALLOCATES RESOURCES FOR LITERACY PROGRAM
PROVIDES FLEXIBLE SCHEDULING/COLLABORATION FOR INCREASED LITERACY OPPORTUNITIES
PROMOTES SCHOOL & COMMUNITY SUPPORT FOR LITERACY
PROVIDES AWARDS AND INCENTIVES TO PROMOTE LITERACY
INSTILLS A RICH LITERARY CULTURE